Becoming a missionary may sound exotic and exciting but being a missionary is about a lot more than simply living in a foreign culture!
In this episode of Now is the Time I share with you six simple steps you can take to become a missionary. I also answer some listener questions.Check out the podcast on iTunes and while you’re there don’t forget to leave a rating and review!
Thank you Elizabeth for this great question!
How can I become a missionary?
1. Make sure you know what a missionary is
Sometimes people are attracted to missions because of the promise of traveling the world and living in strange lands. If you just want to do that then you’re better off taking a job as a National Geographic photographer!
A missionary is one who is sent by God and the church to make disciples in another country or culture.
Before I became a missionary I read John Piper’s classic book Let the Nations be Glad . Piper does a great job explaining not only the what of missions but more importantly the why of missions.
2. Start doing the work of a missionary now
All followers of Jesus are called to do the work of a missionary, some are called to do it in a foreign land!
3. Determine your calling
- What opportunities for services has God given me?
- What skills has God blessed me with?
- What advice do I hear from godly people who know me?
- What passions is God developing in my heart?
4. Get training
5. Find a partnering organization
6. Raise needed support
This probably deserves its own post or podcast! Most missionaries need to raise support before leaving for the field. However, some are self supported through a business.
- Ray asked: “I have a question. I just read in the Wall St. Journal about catacombs under Odessa. How come no one offered to show them to me when I was there?”
- Chastity asked: “Are there any seminary/college classed you took to prepare?”
- Erik asked: “I would like to know the differences you see between the churches in U.S. (while you are here now) and the Ukraine.”
- Juliano asked: “What think you about the church’s investments in missions? Maybe praying, financial help, etc.”
- Giles asked: “Did you watch or keep up with the #StrangeFire conference thing? What is it & what did you think of it?”