I did something special for you this Christmas, I made you a gift.
It’s a gift that I pray it will bless you this Christmas season. It’s also a gift that you can give to your family and friends as you gather to celebrate the birth of Jesus.
Today I sat down and made a special recording for you. This episode of “Now Is the Time” is an exclusive reading of my poem “The Word Is the Gift.” set to some inspiring Christmas background music.
It’s perfect for listening to on a quiet winters night with a cup of hot tea and open Bible!
This poem interweaves Scripture in a unique way with a poetic interpretive text.
You’ll find the entire text of John 1:1-14 weaved between the stanzas.
He came to that which was his own But his own did not receive him
Too many too concerned with religious functions
Too many too comfortable with their powerful positions
Too few who could see through the man-made superstitions
Too busy justifying their behavior
They saw no need for a savior!
Yet to all who did receive him To those who believed in his name He gave the right to become children of God!
No hoops to jump through, no red tape to navigate no behavioral code to live up to
No prescribed prayers or perfunctory performances to impress man.
Not belief for belief’s sake but belief in the truth of the Word.
Belief that sin is your greatest problem
Belief that man is hopelessly fallen
Belief in the unique message and person of Jesus
Belief in the life infused power of forgiveness
Found exclusively and extraordinarily in the Word.
True belief in the True Word
Real faith in the real God
Complete trust in the completed work of Jesus
Suggestions for use
I have included a few suggestions below to make this recording useful to you. Ultimately I hope that it stirs your heart and wakens your faith in Jesus.
I also hope that you will consider using this recording as a tool to share the Good News of Jesus with your unbelieving friends and family this Christmas season.
- I recommend that you take some time and listen on your own first.
- Find a quiet place where you can meditate on these truths without distraction.
- Read through the text of John 1:1-14 before listening.
- Download a PDF here with the full text of the poem and Scripture and follow along as I read.
- Listen with your family one night and then ask each member of your family to answer one of the questions below.
- Play the reading as you celebrate Christmas with friends or neighbors, again use a few of the questions below afterward.
- Send your friends and family a link to this podcast episode and tell them what it meant to you and ask them to listen.
Questions to think on
- Who is the Word?
- Who created all things?
- What did God call John to do?
- Why did the world not recognize who Jesus was?
- What do you need to do to become a child of God?
- Why was it important for the Word to become flesh?
- What kind of “grace” and “truth” did Jesus bring?
- Do you believe Jesus’ words? “I am the resurrection and the life. The person who believes in me, even though he dies, will live.” (John 11:25)
One more thing
If you’d like to donate to our ministry before the end of the year you’ll find instructions here.
Wait, just one more thing!
I’d love to know how you used this recording and if or how it blessed you. Please leave a comment, or send me a note!