Over the last dozen days I’ve spent nearly 100 hours traveling well over 6,000 km by car mainly through Russia. Here are a few things I learned from my first trip to Russia.
- Russia is BIG
- Generally the roads are better than in Ukraine
- Moscow is a BIG metropolis comparable to any Western city
- The police use camera’s to patrol the roads and their cameras are everywhere
- Bribes are expected by many of the authorities
- The forests are BIG and wild, we even saw two moose
- It’s illegal to say something offensive about other religions
- There are far fewer churches in comparison to Ukraine
- Russia is a country of countries, You’ve probably never heard places like the Republic of Chuvashia or the Republic of Udmurtia and others.
- Alcoholism is a terrible problem
- It’s illegal to teach religious material to anyone 14 and under without written consent from parents
- Banyas are part of the culture and almost everyone has one
- The mosquitoes are BIG
- It’s illegal to promote homosexuality
- Spending 4 days in a car with someone can be a great relationship builder
- Gas, is cheaper than in Ukraine but food is more expensive
- Log houses are the most common type of houses in the Urals
- Most people say they believe in God but know very little about Him
- The need for the gospel is BIG
Stay tuned for a detailed update about our trip to Russia and how God is working in Russia to plant churches.
Question: Which of these 19 items surprise you the most?